Our European clients, who visit us in large numbers every year, are interested in different products than those sought by our Canadian or American guests. Consequently, the QOF has prepared a brochure for our European clientele, which features a selection of packages tailored to their expectations and provides a host of important information: laws and regulations, travel conditions, dates of the hunting and fishing seasons, listing of the animal species in each region, etc. We also encourage you to consult the profile for each of the QOF’s 400 member outfitters.

Information for Visitors

Are you thinking about travelling to Quebec for a vacation? You can find a lot of useful information on planning a trip to Canada, such as conditions for entering the country, customs and excise, Canadian tax reimbursement, Canadian currency, insurance, weather conditions and regulations for importing firearms or dogs.

Our toll-free number in France is accessible from any fixed telephone
Numéro vert (free information line): 0 800 90 77 77
7 days a week – 3 p.m. to 11 p.m., Wednesday from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.

For tourism information about the different regions of Quebec, go to


Upon Arrival

Conditions for entering Canada

American citizens must present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, citizenship card, naturalization card or photo id, in order to enter Canada. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your Permanent Residency Card (green card) with you.
If you have a criminal record, including for DUI, you will not be allowed into Canada

Tax reimbursement for visitors

Upon leaving Canada, you have the right to be reimbursed for the taxes you paid on goods bought in Canada if these are taken outside the country within 60 days of purchase. For more information, go to the Web site of the Canada Revenue Agency

Clearing customs

Personal effects not subject to particular restrictions are exempt from taxes, but must be declared at customs. Note that Canadian regulations are in place governing the importation of food products, plants, pets and firearms.

Visitors 18 years and over may bring 1.14 litres of spirits or 1.5 litres of wine or 1.14 litres of wine and spirits or 8.5 litres (24 × 355 ml bottles or tins) of beer or ale, 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 g of manufactured tobacco, and 200 tobacco sticks into Canada.

For more information, go to the Web site of Canada Border Services Agency

Canadian currency

You can exchange your American dollars for Canadian dollars at the airport or a bank before your departure or upon arrival in Canada. Travellers’ cheques and major credit cards are accepted by most outfitters, but it would be best to confirm this with your outfitter beforehand.


Planning your trip

Trip cancellation

Ask your outfitter about reimbursement conditions should you have to cancel your trip.

Outfitter’s responsibility

SPlease be aware that the outfitter cannot be held responsible for damage, loss, delays, illness, injury or inconvenience arising from:

  • Errors, omissions or negligence on the part of other suppliers (airline, hotel, etc.)
  • Strikes, mechanical failure, quarantine or other restrictive action by the government, weather conditions or any factor beyond the outfitter’s control, such as forest fires.
  • Client oversight with regard to necessary travel documents.
  • Airport delays for any reason whatsoever.
  • Any material damage, loss or theft.
  • Illness, injury or death.


Many insurance companies offer coverage for lost luggage, trip cancellation, medical expenses or hospitalization expenses. Contact an insurance company for more information.

Method of payment

If you have not paid for your entire trip prior to your departure and you do not wish to pay the outstanding balance in cash, ask if your outfitter accepts travellers’ cheques, personal cheques or the type of credit card you wish to use.


Prior to your departure, ask your airline about luggage weight limits.

Inclement weather

In some areas, regularly scheduled flights or an outfitter’s planned activities may be compromised by inclement weather. No reimbursement is offered for changes resulting from inclement weather.


Most outfitters have a list of recommended equipment guests should bring. If you are going fishing, do not forget your fishing line, lures, etc.
If you are going hunting, make sure your guns are calibrated properly and you have enough ammunition with you. Ammunition for 10, 16 and 28 calibre firearms or European firearms may be difficult to find in Canada. Please note that handguns are restricted in Canada and may not be used for hunting.

What to bring

Clothes, boots, raincoat, first aid kit, insect repellent, camera, film, batteries, etc. You may need to bring towels and a sleeping bag if these are not included with your package. Make a list of the serial numbers of your binoculars, telescope, firearms, cameras and other equipment for insurance and customs purposes.

Driving in Canada

Speed limits are indicated in kilometres per hour. The usual speed limits are 50 km/h (approx. 30 mi/h) in cities and towns, 90 km/h (approx. 55 mi/h) on major roads and 100 km/h (approx. 60 mi/h) on highways.
You may turn right at a red light in most places across Quebec, but certain restrictions apply. You are required to wear a seatbelt. Radar detectors are strictly forbidden.


Many hotels, motels and bed and breakfasts are located along major roadways and in cities and towns.



Licenses and bag limits

Hunters must obtain a hunting license, which is available from many sports stores and certain outfitters.

If you want to hunt migratory birds, such as geese, ducks and American woodcocks, you will need both a federal license, available at post offices, and a provincial small game license. Please note only non-toxic ammunition is allowed for hunting migratory birds.

Non-residents do not need a hunting certificate to obtain a hunting license. They may use rifles, crossbows or bows to hunt any animal considered a game species, though they must respect any restrictions in effect with regard to the use of certain weapons for certain animal species.

Non-residents may hunt any animal considered a small game species, except for frogs. They are also not allowed to go snare hunting for hares or Eastern cottontails.

Non-residents who want to go hunting north of the 52nd parallel or east of the Saint-Augustin River in zone 19 south must make arrangements with an outfitter to do so.

Although non-residents may not participate in lotteries to go hunting in a wildlife preserve, they may accompany a lottery winner on such a hunting trip as a guest.

Hunters and fishers must respect daily bag / catch limits to ensure species conservation.

Big game hunting

Non-residents face restrictions regarding the purchase of hunting licenses and the areas or zones in which certain species may be bagged. These restrictions are listed below:

Caribou Hunting licenses only available for sector B of zone 22 in the winter and for the northern section of zone 23 in the fall and winter. Non-residents must always make arrangements with an outfitter if they wish to go caribou hunting.

White-tailed deer : Non-residents may not purchase a special license to hunt antlerless deer.

Moose :Non-residents must respect guidelines in effect for their zone license, though they may purchase the license at any time before going hunting. Non-residents may not purchase a special permit to hunt moose cows.

Black bear and American woodcock : Non-residents must use at least two of the services provided by an outfitter, including lodging, though this does not apply if hunting these species in a wildlife preserve or in a controlled hunting zone. Furthermore, non-residents wishing to go black bear hunting at an outfitter without exclusive rights in zones 13 and 16 must have a special license granted by the outfitter in addition to the regular black bear hunting license.

For more information on hunting regulations for non-residents, go to the Web site of the Quebec Ministry of Natural Resources and Wildlife.

Registering big game kills

In addition to respecting the regulations set out in the brochure
Sport Hunting in Quebec (available online in pdf format), non-residents must register any big game kills at a registration office before leaving Quebec.

Exporting game

A punched transportation tag serves as the official document authorizing the transport of caribou, white-tailed deer, moose or black bear, in whole or in part (including fur), outside Quebec.

Non-residents may export the unprocessed fur from one of their kills outside Quebec, even if they do not have a merchant’s permit, processor’s permit or export form. However, if they wish to sell or process this fur, a permit is required, even if the fur is from one of their kills.

As black bears and wolves are protected under the Convention on International Trade in
Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), a CITES export permit is required for exporting these animals, their parts or derived products out of Canada, and a CITES import permit is required for the importing country. For more information on CITES permits, go to this Web Site
. (french and english)

THowever, a CITES permit is not required for a Canadian or American resident who is exporting, in his or her personal accompanied baggage, a fresh, frozen or salted black bear carcass (or parts thereof) acquired and possessed through legal hunting. If the bear or its parts are mounted, processed or otherwise preserved by a person other than the hunter who killed the animal, then a CITES permit is required.

Importing firearms

Non-residents who wish to bring firearms into Canada but do not have a Canadian firearm permit must fill out the Non-resident Firearm Declaration Form. The duly completed form must then be presented to a customs officer. A $50 CAN processing fee is required, payable by American Express, Visa or MasterCard. To download the form (CAFC 909) or obtain more information on transporting firearms, go to the Web site of the Canada Firearms Centre.

Importing dogs

Dogs are allowed into Canada upon presentation of a valid rabies vaccination certificate (in English or French) prepared by a licensed veterinarian. This certificate must clearly identify the dogs (species, colour, weight, etc.), declare they have been vaccinated against rabies and indicate the commercial name of the rabies vaccine given, its lot number and duration (maximum of three years). If no duration is indicated, it is assumed the vaccine is good for only one year.
There is no waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated against rabies and is imported into Canada.

For more information, go to the Web site of the
Canadian Food Inspection Agency.


TAll hunters, guides and persons accompanying them must wear a fluorescent orange vest that is visible from the front, back and sides. This vest must be at least 2580 cm2 (400 sq. in.) and cover the wearer’s back, shoulders and chest. When worn, the orange vest must be visible at all times.

However, no orange vest is required when:

  • Hunting American crows, rock doves or migratory birds;
  • Hunting moose, white-tailed deer or black bear when the use of a bow or crossbow is mandatory;
  • Hunting frogs;
  • Snare hunting for hares or Eastern cottontails;
  • Hunting coyotes, wolves or silver, patched or red foxes from December 1 to March 31;
  • Hunting with a bow or crossbow in an area reserved for bow or crossbow hunting or when all of the hunters in an outfitter’s exclusive hunting grounds are using a bow or crossbow.



Non-residents must have a Quebec sportfishing license to fish anywhere in the province except for in one of Canada’s national parks or a fishing pond. The spouse and children of a non-resident license holder do not need a license to fish (see the brochure Sport Fishing in Quebec , which is available online in pdf format).

An Ontario sportfishing license holder enjoys the benefits of a Quebec sportfishing license holder with regard to fishing in zone 25, in lakes Clarice, Labyrinthe and Raven (zone 13) and in the part of Lake Saint-François (zone 8) located west of an imaginary line extending from Pointe Beaudette on the north bank to Pointe Saint-Louis on the south. A New Brunswick sportfishing license holder may go fly fishing in the Patapédia (zone 2) and Ristigouche (zones 1 and 2) salmon rivers. Fish caught in these rivers are considered to have been caught in Quebec and count towards the holder’s catch limit and the number of fish kept.

Non-residents who want to go fishing north of the 52nd parallel (zones 19 south, 22 north, 23, 24 and 29) or east of the Saint-Augustin River (zone 19 south) must make arrangements with an outfitter to do so. For more information, contact the Northern Quebec or North Shore Regional Office (Only in French).

Note: A CITES export license is required to export lake or Atlantic sturgeon out of Canada.